Postdoc "Genome Stability"
Boehringer Ingelheim is an equal opportunity global employer who takes pride in maintaining a diverse and inclusive culture. We embrace diversity of perspectives and strive for an inclusive environment which benefits our employees, patients and communities.
Postdoc Position in Genome Stability (Petronczki Group) (m/f)
– Breaking chromosomes to fight cancer
We are seeking a postdoctoral scientist to join Boehringer Ingelheim RCV (Vienna, Austria) to explore new concepts in DNA repair and genome stability. The recent success of PARP inhibitors in the treatment of BRCA-mutated tumors has provided the clinical proof-of-concept for exploiting synthetic lethal interactions in cells deficient in particular DNA repair processes. Research at Boehringer Ingelheim has recently identified a DNA helicase as a potent vulnerability of cells deficient in DNA mismatch repair and hence as a potential new drug target. The advertised position is associated with the group of Mark Petronczki and part of the global Boehringer Ingelheim Postdoc Programme. We encourage applications from individuals with a strong background in cell and molecular biology who are keen to conduct cutting-edge discovery research in the area of genome stability in an industry environment.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Full responsibility for research projects, supervised by a mentor with academic and industry experience
- Unearth the mechanisms underlying WRN helicase dependence in mismatch repair deficient cancer cells
- Identify novel concepts that exploit vulnerabilities of tumor cells in the area of genome stability by designing hypothesis-driven and unbiased screening approaches
- Collaborate with academic experts including the possibility to work at the external academic partner lab for defined periods of time
- Publish scientific results in peer-reviewed scientific journals and present data at international conferences
- PhD with strong background in Cell and Molecular Biology
- Evidence of scientific rigor and excellence as documented by first author peer-reviewed publications
- Experienced with relevant experimental approaches, e.g. cell biology and imaging, molecular biology, gene perturbations (RNAi, CRISPR/Cas9)
- Experience and expertise in the area genome stability is an advantage but not a requirement
- Creative thinking, strong communication, networking and presentation skills
About Boehringer Ingelheim’s Postdoc Programme
- The initial appointment is for 2 years fixed term contract with potential for a 1-2 year extension
- As a Postdoctoral Fellow you will benefit from a fully resourced and fully funded research environment with access to state-of-the-art tools, technologies and equipment
- The programme will offer training courses to promote career development and lectures on drug discovery and other industry-relevant topics
- Embedded in the BI Discovery Research organization, you will benefit scientific exchange within the growing BI postdoc community, including global BI postdoc retreats, and with BI research scientists
At the end of the programme you will have the opportunity to compete for a transition grant to facilitate starting up your next lab.
- Position specific training opportunities
- Pension scheme
- Additional off-days (bridge days)
- Comprehensive health promotion
- Staff restaurant
For this position we offer an interesting salary package considering your expertise and personal competencies as well as your professional experience. We are obliged by law to state the minimum salary according to the collective agreement, which amounts to € 44,286.62 gross per year (full-time) for this position, whereby an overpayment is possible.
Who we are
At Boehringer Ingelheim we create value through innovation with one clear goal: to improve the lives of patients. We develop breakthrough therapies and innovative healthcare solutions in areas of unmet medical need for both humans and animals. As a family owned company we focus on long term performance. We are powered by 50.000 employees globally who nurture a diverse, collaborative and inclusive culture. Learning and development for all employees is key, because your growth is our growth.
Want to learn more? Visit boehringer-ingelheim.com and join us in our effort to make more health.
Your HR Recruiting Manager for this Position is Doris Staribacher.
We invite you to visit our career site! You will find there more interesting information, such as the application process or about our diverse divisions.
Not exactly the position you are looking for but for someone you know? You can still forward it to friends or colleagues who might be interested. Please use the “share” button at the bottom of the page.
Job - Post Doctoral Program
Primary Location - Europe-AT-Vienna-Vienna
Organization - AT-Boehringer Ingelheim Regional Center Vienna GmbH & Co KG (Austria)
Schedule - Full-time