Principal Scientist Research (m/f) Medicinal Chemistry
|Principal Scientist Research (m/f) Medicinal Chemistry
Boehringer Ingelheim Regional Center Vienna is home to Boehringer Ingelheim’s dedicated drug discovery center for innovative cancer medicines. A team of more than 250 scientists, combining their expertise in cancer biology and genomics, pharmacology, medicinal chemistry, structural biology, screening and pharmacokinetics, drive our efforts to identify novel medicines for the treatment of cancer. In the Department of Medicinal Chemistry we are currently looking for a highly motivated and result oriented scientist (m/f) with a strong background in synthetic organic chemistry to strengthen our team as Principal Scientist.
The Medicinal Chemistry department and its scientists play an essential role in all phases of drug discovery and development. The adventure of drug discovery includes taking strategic decisions in multidisciplinary project teams and encompasses the design and synthesis of potential drug candidates. Our ambition is to address challenging targets to provide novel small molecule based innovative medicines for cancer patients. Team science, agility, accountability and intrapreneurship comprise the skills and mindset of a scientist we would like to welcome in our Team.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Lead an experimental medicinal chemistry laboratory focusing on synthesis of novel anticancer drugs based on own design ideas
- Supervision of a laboratory with 2 – 3 coworkers
- Project work in multidisciplinary research teams dedicated to drug indication-related innovative targets
- Close interaction with our specialists of cancer genetics, pharmacology, drug metabolism and pharmacokinetics, structural research, patents, medicine and marketing
- Coordinate effectively with other research teams and disciplines across the global Discovery Research Organization
- Initiation and participation in collaborations with external partners
- Assumes responsibility for direct reports as needed including recruiting, managing, mentoring and developing scientific staff
For this position we offer an interesting salary considering your expertise and personal competencies as well as your professional experience. We are obliged by law to state the minimum salary according to the collective agreement, which amounts to € 47,207.30 gross per year (full-time) for this position. An overpayment is possible. Moreover, we offer our employees a variety of attractive social benefits which will be introduced in the personal interview.
- PhD / Dr. in organic chemistry ideally with synthesis focus, with academic post-doctoral training or research experience in the fields of synthetic organic chemistry and / or methodology / catalysis
- Ability and science driven curiosity to use the fundamental principles of organic chemistry for the hypothesis driven design of molecules
- Background in drug design with several years of experience in a pharmaceutical company in the field of medicinal chemistry is beneficial but not a prerequisite
- Familiar with the planning of synthetic routes, the execution of reactions and state-of-the-art methods for isolation and characterization of products
- Ability to identify opportunities offered by new methods and techniques to increase the efficiency of your research
- Demonstrated ability to work in multi-disciplinary teams
- Ability to work independently, plan, organize, troubleshoot, present work and to show team leadership and innovative thinking
- Advanced organization, interpersonal, presentation and communication skills in German and English (working language)
Innovative medicines for people and animals have for more than 130 years been what the research-driven pharmaceutical company Boehringer Ingelheim stands for. Boehringer Ingelheim is one of the pharmaceutical industry’s top 20 companies and to this day remains family-owned. Day by day, some 50,000 employees create value through innovation for the three business areas human pharmaceuticals, animal health and biopharmaceutical contract manufacturing. In 2016, Boehringer Ingelheim achieved net sales of around 15.9 billion euros. With more than three billion euros, R&D expenditure corresponds to 19.6 per cent of net sales.
Your application will be reviewed by our recruiting team as well as the respective department. Therefore, we do not state a specific contact person and kindly ask you to use a general salutation in your application.
Job: Research & Development
Primary Location: Europe-Austria-Vienna-Vienna
Organization: AT-Boehringer Ingelheim Regional Center Vienna GmbH & Co KG (Austria)